Monday, November 16, 2009

Experimenting with pastels

So, I bought this box of pastels a while ago, but didnt really use them. This Sunday went to TSA for some Life Drawing and decided to take them with me and experiment a bit. To be honest, I had no idea of what I was doing. Pretty much, I was just testing and trying to figure out how to use them. I'm not 100% happy with the results, but I think it's a good start.




And a portrait we did in Life Drawing today. Again, trying to experiment more with pastels and colored paper. I want to go over this one and push it further, but I'm afraid I might put a little too much and make it worse. (Sorry for the quiality of the pic)

Any feedback would be really appreciated!

1 comment:

Adam Garib said...

Andrea. This is looking great! nice likeness.
If i had to offer any suggestions, it would be really focus on the eyes. spend more time rendering those out better, showing the forms and contours as well as the depth and height of the eye. this will really make the likeness sing.

as well with pastels, perhaps you could block in colours to represent faces at the first pass. then when you are happy with the form of the face, you can then focus on light source, and start adding the blending details. I think this would remove the "whispy" lines that comprise a lot of the skin tones. and don't be afraid to use the colour paper as majority of your skin tones as well. sometimes the less lines you actually add, the better then end result!

I still think this is incredibly well done, and keep at it! the likeness is there.